Student athletes seeking a higher learning institution that offers a lacrosse program have a wealth of options from which to choose. Across the nation, lacrosse programs for women are offered at more than 500 four-year institutions and 20 junior colleges. However, just because a college offers a lacrosse program doesn’t mean it will be the right institution for every individual.
Aspiring lacrosse stars will need to seriously evaluate their skills to ascertain what division in which they might be best suited to play, along with their educational goals to narrow down the list of colleges that will meet both objectives. Most lacrosse programs are located on the eastern side of the nation, but there are other top-ranked programs sprinkled throughout other regions.
The top five percent of women’s lacrosse players in high school gravitate to Division 1 programs. Strong on the field and in the classroom, they’re often scholarship candidates. While every student-athlete wants to play in Division 1, there are a number of overlooked possibilities in Division 2 colleges and many come with scholarship options.
Even more overlooked are Division 3 opportunities. Students still have the benefit of playing in top-caliber programs and have over 290 colleges from which to choose. Many institutions offer academic scholarships and students may qualify for additional types of financial aid.
The following is a list of the Top 10 best colleges for women’s lacrosse nationwide for those that want to pursue the sport in college.
- University of Denver – Denver, CO
- University of Maryland – College Park, MD
- Syracuse University – Syracuse, NY
- University of Florida – Gainesville, FL
- University of Virginia – Charlottesville, VA
- Boston College – Chestnut Hill, MA
- Northwestern University – Evanston, IL
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, NC
- University of Southern California – Los Angeles, CA
- Stanford University – Stanford, CA